Teaching our kids to CARE for their HAIR

Two months ago, I blogged about the importance of teaching our kids to love their hair. Since then, I have gradually been doing teaching Big Sis and Lil Sis how to care for their hair. I believe that parents and care-givers should teach children how to care for their hair instead of always doing it for them. I did not start caring for my hair until I went to boarding school, where there was no mommy or nanny to help take care of my hair. I was left on my own. Luckily, the sisterhood of the boarding house helped me learn little day-to-day care of my hair.
 
How do you start ...
It is actually simpler than you think. When you wash your child's hair, tell them what you are doing. You can even give them a section of hair, and show them how to scrub their scalp with the base of the fingers (not fingertips).


In the morning, when you get their hair ready for the day, show them how you moisturize the hair. Even teach them the LOC method. Allow them to gently spritz their hair with water and moisturize their hair. You can even show them how to use the soft hair brush to catch those pesky edge-and-nape hair.



If your girls love to play with dolls, let them do the steps on their dolls. This will allow them to practice without messing up their hair.


Overall, let them have fun with their hair, under your supervision, OF COURSE. LOL!

Big Sis did a Mohawk with her soapy hair!

 
Lil Sis doing her own ponytail at age 4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Split Ends be Genetic?

Can Hair Porosity Change?

What are some good products to use for thinning hair?