Change for the unchangeable

First of all, let me tell you all why I choose the title:
"Change for unchangeable"

I HATE CHANGE. So, that being said,...let the journey begins. I am someone that totally hate change. If I like something, I stick to it. My motto is if it is not broken, then why fix it. However, it surprised people that I would make this change from being relaxed since age 13 to trying to be natural 22 years later. I do not remember what my natural hair looks like. Kind of feels like I lost a little part of myself. I have a couple of pics of when I was 8 years old and my mom just puffed up my hair and stuck a million bobby pins in it so as to assume some kind of respectable cute style. That was always the routine for special occasions. Apart from that, my hair was always in cornrows. When I was 13, I went to my dad and asked permission to get my hair relaxed. His response, "If your hair falls off, don't come crying to me". My first visit to the salon, I felt as if I had enter a secret club of fabulous ladies. I got burnt, but took that as the whole experience. Oh, well, fast forward to present time. When my oldest daughter was 4 and her hair became "unmanageable" according my standard, I decided to texturizer her hair. I regret doing that. She had nice full hair. After my second daughter was born, she had beautiful hair, curly bouncy, looks like I slapped some texturizier on her hair kind of hair.

I decided to stop relaxing my oldest girl's hair in Nov 2010. I transitioned her with no guidance. Wish I knew about Curly Nikki or other natural hair forums. Her hair survived it. I cornrowed her hair every 2 weeks. So, I decided to stop relaxing my hair on Dec 12, 2011 after attending a natural hair show. I can't wait to experience this change regardless of how rocky it might get. I want to be a role model to my girls.

My last relaxer was on November 1st, 2011.  Please note that although this post is being made on January 23, 2012, this is a post I wrote back in December 2011.





11/1/2011: Relaxed hair

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Split Ends be Genetic?

Can Hair Porosity Change?

What are some good products to use for thinning hair?