Co-washing Transitioning hair

The last time I blogged about co-washing, it was regarding co-washing my 4a hair-ed daughter's hair.  It is now a week or so later, and I most say, her hair has retained moisture very well. In the past week, I have co-wash twice and her hair has felt less dry and brittle looking.  Especially the ends.

So, I decided to take the challenge myself.  My first concern was...
-  Can I co-wash even though I am still transitioning; not fully natural?
-  Will co-washing help my transitioning hair?

Sidenote:
 As I was doing another research regarding "Sodium Chloride" and its drying effect on hair, I decided to look at the ingredients on my Creme of Nature Detangling and Conditioning Shampoo, which I TOTALLY love!  YiKeS!!  It does contain the dreaded Sulfate Laureth Sodium.  What ???? So, now, I will only be using this product for my monthly clarification.

Anyways, back to co-washing transitioning hair...

Co-washing is great for any hair, however with transitioning hair, it aids in preventing stripping of moisture that shampooing cause to hair.

Now, to try it out!

I started by doing my regular pre-poo with Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  I left this one all morning' about 5 hours.  After washing of the pre-poo treatment from my hair, I applied VO5 Milk Moisture Conditioner to my two-sectioned hair.  I massaged my scalp with my fingertips, making sure not to scratch my scalp.  After this, I washed off the conditioner, and used a t-shirt to lightly dry my hair.

Here is a picture of what my hair looked like just washed without any products, you can actually see my curl pattern... Love it!!



Also, my all natural hair (this section was from a breakage I experienced earlier in my transitioning journey). I am using this section to test products on my natural hair versus on my new growth mixed in with my relaxed hair.  You can see that co-washing took well to that section of hair too.  Not tangled, but defining the curls I already had.



The one issue I had with co-washing was my relaxed hair got tangled.  I did not like that at all.  I ended up going to YouTube and found a video that shows a way that I can co-wash and reduce the tangling of my relaxed hair.  Check it out:



So, do I love co-washing...  well, the Verdict is still out... I will let you know. I plan to co-wash all this month.  I will, however, be doing a clarification with sulfate shampoo at the end of the month.

Comments

  1. I do co wash my transitioning hair once a week and I love it...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why does cloves water itch my scalp?

3 SheaMoisture HACKS that will Save your Natural Hair

How To Make Natural Hair Soft Without Relaxer