Shingling: Ponytail style

As I learn how to work with my new natural hair growth and do different transistional/natural styles, I found a style called Shingling.  You might be wondering, What is Shingling? Shingling is the process of defining your curls by applying products to one section of hair at a time. You can do this with either gel or a curl enhancing product, or a combination of both.  It does take trial and error as you will see below.

I decided to try this on my daughter's hair. She has more of a type 4a/4b type of hair. I will try this on her sister' hair in the future. Her older sister has a type 4c hair.  I still don't know what my hair type is, but I do see evidence of both types.

Shingling is mostly done on all the hair, not on just the ponytail. The reason I did it on just the ponytail was because we were in a hurry to leave the house and I just wanted to try something fast and new.

Prior to Shingling my daughter's hair, her hair had been wash a day ago, so it was still quite moisturized.  I performed the following steps:

Step 1:      Spritz her hair with water
Step 2:      Apply some Jamacian Castor Oil to her edges (we are trying this product to help grow our edges, Love it so far!)
Step 3:      Apply a little bit of oil mix all over her hair.
Step 4:      Secure her hair into a ponytail at the base of her head. I did loose ponytail because I did not want to pull too much on her temple and nape (edges).
Step 4:      Working in sections, apply Shea Moisture Curl Enhanced Smoothie to ponytail. Using your fingers in a raking motion, comb through the hair, stretching it slowly. Some people use wide tooth comb or brush for this process, but I prefer using my fingers.
Step 5:       Repeat Step 4, but this time with Eco Styler gel.


Results.......




I liked how the curls came out, very defined.  The only thing that I didn't like was that some of the product still showed.  I did manage to rub it in before letting her leave the house for school, but it took some time. I was discussing this with a friend, and she said that the reason why the Shea Moisture Curl Enhanced smoothie did not quickly get absorbed was probably because of the oil I put in her hair prior.  So, I will be redoing this Shingling method in the future to all her hair, and I will update you on my findings.

View this video to see other ways of shingling hair.

Have you trying Shingling your hair?  If so, any tips or tricks?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does cloves water itch my scalp?

3 SheaMoisture HACKS that will Save your Natural Hair

How To Make Natural Hair Soft Without Relaxer