Wash Day in Twists


Yeah! Wash day...FINALLY. For some reason, I look forward to washing my hair. As I learn more about what my hair needs, I am having an easier time determining what products to use each week to wash my hair.

Unlike other wash day, when I wash my hair free, I decided to leave in my week long twists and wash my hair as is. Why? Experimenting... LOL! Will washing in twists reduce shrinkage? Will it help reduce the amount of hair loss during the wash process?


Today's arsenal and why:

First I used Shea Moisture Purification Masque  on my hair for 30 mins (covered with plastic cap and thick hat). This was my pre-cleanse process. Why?  It's been 2 weeks since I washed my hair, and my scalp has been itchy and experiencing dandruff.  This is my go-to Holy Grail (HG) product to get the job done in bringing my scalp back to its healthy self.

Next, I rinsed my hair with warm water, and massaged my scalp full strength with Elasta QP Crème Conditioning Shampoo. Why? Usually, I would co-wash, but due to the different products I used in my hair prior and during my vacation, I needed some kind of shampoo, and opted for a non-sulfate one. Also, this product gives me great moisture.

I applied Tresemme Natural Conditioner to my hair to do a quick 3 minutes rinse off conditioning, while I took my bath. After rinsing off with lukewarm water, my hair felt soft.


On to deep conditioning (picture bottom right), I used Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp Tamanu Grow & Strengthen Treatment. Why? I needed some kind of strengthening treatment after the harsh climate my tresses endured during my vacation. This product contains some protein and it does an effective job in strengthening my hair.

Prior to rinsing off the deep conditioning, I did the Cool & Seal DC trick with Tresemme Natural Conditioner. Thanks, Hairscapades.

To moisturize my hair, I untwisted each twist, removed any shedded hair, and applied Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, then my Oil Mix, and then Shea Moisture Curl Enhanced Milk. Retwisted, and seal at the ends with Whipped Shea Butter.

My experience with Washing in Twists
I loved the washing part, but not the detangling part. My hair is growing and quite full, like Big Sis.
The issue I had was when to detangle my hair. Usually, I would detangle during my pre-poo, but with the purpose of keeping my hair in twists I had to do it prior styling. The best thing was that I experience less hair loss with this method.
What I did not like, my twists got unraveled and a little bit matted together. It looked as if my hair was locking. Detangling was much harder because of the matting. I think when my hair gets longer and I can do chunkier twists, this will not be a problem.
This process did not help with shrinkage. My hair was still shrunken up.
Will I do it again? YES, however, I will wait till my hair is a little bit longer!

Have you ever washed your hair in twists?

Comments

  1. Yes, I used to wash my hair in twists also...mainly because of laziness lol

    I had the same results, but I loved it...the unkempt look didn't bother me.

    Did yours plump up? I have fine hair and it would actually shrink more when wet.

    BTW, if you were experiencing itching and dandruff, why didn't you wash sooner? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mine did plump up. I didn't wash sooner because I was quite busy. I hate rushing through my wash day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 SheaMoisture HACKS that will Save your Natural Hair

DiscoveringNatural Hair Coaching

Does relaxing hair help get rid of lice?