Babassu Oil (Orbignya Oleifera) is extracted from the nuts of the Babassu Palm, a plant found in the Amazon area of South America.
|Inside a Babassu Nut|
Coconut Oil can be quite greasy. I have found with Babassu oil, it does not appear to be as greasy. Both oils do solidify, however coconut oil liquefy faster than babassu oil. Some people have found coconut oil too drying or causing their hair to feel hard, babassu oil does not exhibit this type of characteristic. Babassu Oil is more creamier than coconut oil, however, both seem to penetrate the hair shaft, although some say that babassu oil does a better job at it. Coconut oil has a stronger scent than Babassu oil. For some naturals, coconut oil seem to weigh down their hair, babassu does not do this.
Benefits of Babassu Oil
- Emollient, which means it is wonderful for moisturizing your hair.
- Strengthens the hair
- Promotes shine
- Soften hair
- Improves hair elasticity to help prevent breakage
- Add it to your deep conditioner to boost the moisturizing properties
- Use it to moisturize your hair daily or add in your oil mix as part of your moisture laying process
- Use as a pre-poo with your favorite conditioner
- Use to detangle your hair.
- Sealant; use alone or add to your shea butter
I found mine at Dr, Adorable, however, you can find it at some online stores and even health stores. Etsy has a good selection, however, make sure that you are buying the organic Babassu Oil. Some products containing Babassu Oil are:
Have you ever used Babassu Oil? Share your thoughts below.