Lately, I have been experiencing more shedding than usual. Normal shedding is about 50 - 100 strands of hair per day. However, I take that information with a little bias. I monitor my shedding by how much hair I see while detangling, washing, styling, and my hair. Once I start noticing that the number of hair is increasing, I decided to do a quick test to make sure my hair was getting enough protein.
Take a strand of hair, wet, hold it at each end and stretch. If it snaps immediately or stretches very little, you need moisture. If it stretches 20%-30%, you probably have a good moisture/protein balance. If it stretches much more than about 30% and doesn't shorten up again (strand stays all limp and stretched out) you may need protein. Do a few hairs just to get an average.
|Hair before test|
Hair after test
Do you see how the strand does not curl back. Yep! Time to bring out the BIG GUNS.
And what is that?....
For today's wash, I decided to use Aubrey Glycogen Protein Balancing (GPB) Conditioner.
- Started by sectioning my hair into 7 parts, and generously applying the conditioner to each section.
- Covered my hair with a plastic cap for 15 minutes
- Then I saturated my hair with Tresemme Natural Conditioner for about 5 minutes.
- Did my final rinse with cold water.
- Then, I twisted up my hair and pinned all the twists to stretch them out overnight.
Hopefully, I will see some changes this week.
What do you do when you experience abnormal shedding?